Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Perfection

It's been a while since I've been on here.
I don't know how many times I've started writing something and then got interrupted.  Hopefully this time I can actually get something posted.

I was talking to my sister this week about how I'm kinda scared to go to college because I know there are going to be a lot of things that I'll need to work on in myself. 
She started asking me some questions.
Questions that I've never really had anybody ask me before.They stumped me.


Why do I want to be good? 
Why do I feel like I have to change when somebody confronts me about something? 
Why do I want to have good qualities in myself?

It's all because I want people to like me. It's not because I love God, or because I know He would like it. It's because I'm scared of what people are going to think about me.  Just because somebody confronts me about something doesn't necessarily mean that what I'm doing is wrong. And even if it is wrong, do I want to change that just so people will like me, or do I want to change because I know God would want me to? 
If I keep on living my life just to keep everybody happy with me I'm going to have to live a lot of different lives. 
I'm learning that it's OK to disagree with people. God made us all different on purpose and for a purpose. It's OK if I like the color green and somebody else doesn't. It's not a sin to disagree on things like that. The things I need to figure out are...
What are my standards?
What do I believe?
Where are my standards at for right and wrong?
Do I even have my own standards? Or am I just going by what my friends and family say at the time?
Do my standards line up with what Christ says is right?


I'm learning more and more that I need to do what Christ would do, not what I think will please people.  I think this is a huge problem for me because I'm very much a people pleaser (not sure if that's a word). I just want people to be happy with me all the time. And I want them to be happy with each other all the time too. So it's hard for me to learn to rely on what God thinks about me and not what others think about me.
Something that has been helping me with this is the fact that people's opinions change all the time. And I'm finding that as I get older my opinion is changing on some things too. 


So...with all of that said...I'm really looking forward to working on this. I think it will be really exciting to see how God teaches me and leads me in this area. It also seems scary to me because I don't want to quit caring about what people think about me completely. And that's not what I'm trying to say here. I guess I'm just saying that God's working in my life. And I'm excited to see what kind of work will be done in my life in the next 2 months. 
One thing that my brother said to me once was "you're never going to make it all the way there...to perfection." Sometimes I think I put too much emphasis on being good and doing the right things. I think God would like it better if I would just spend time with Him more often. 

I will never be perfect while I'm on earth. God doesn't even expect me to be perfect while I'm on earth. 
I'm a sinner...saved by grace, and grace alone. 





3 comments:

  1. Hey Tasha,
    You didn't tell me you were starting a blog. I'm glad though, now I get to know some of what your always writing. hahaha!
    One thought I had from this post is that in order for us to come before God we must be completely perfect. But our perfection is not from what we do, but from putting on Christ's perfection. So when God looks at us He see's Christ's perfection and righteousness. Anyway...just a thought I had.

    Clint

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Clint,
    Thanks for the thought. It's a good one, and very true. It's a good reminder that when God looks at me He sees Christ's perfection and not my sins.
    I think I told you that I was starting a blog. You just probably didn't read my e-mail or something, or maybe I didn't send it to you. I don't remember. Anyways...now you know I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good post, Tasha! Those questions at the beginning were so good - things I need to think about, too. I'm excited for you in the path ahead - the things you are going to learn, but more importantly, that you have a desire to learn and to please God. That is so good! :)

    ReplyDelete